Dear Valued Members,
We hope this message finds you well and enjoying the benefits of your membership of Awakon FCU. As part of our commitment to your financial well-being, we want to share some important information on how to protect yourself from spam emails, fraudulent phone calls and phishing scams that could compromise your account security.
In today’s digital age, cybercriminals are constantly finding new ways to exploit unsuspecting individuals. To ensure your online safety and the security of your credit union account, please consider the following tips:
- Stay Informed: Regularly educate yourself about the latest email and phone scams and tactics cybercriminals use. Staying informed is your first line of defense against falling victim to phishing attempts.
- Verify the Sender: Before clicking on any links or providing personal information, verify the sender’s email address. Cybercriminals often use email addresses that appear legitimate at first glance. Look for subtle misspellings or suspicious domain names. Also be sure to type in the correct url when accessing us online; the difference between “.net” and “.com” makes a huge difference.
- Avoid Clicking Links: Be cautious when clicking on links in emails, especially those requesting personal information, passwords, or account details. Instead of clicking directly from the email, visit the official website by typing the address directly into your browser.
- Be cautious of your spelling: Make sure you type the website address correctly, many big name sites have URL’s that are 1 or 2 letters off the official site that are run by bad actors to steal information.
- Beware of Urgency: Many phishing emails create a sense of urgency, asking you to act quickly to avoid negative consequences. Take your time to assess the situation and verify the authenticity of the email.
- Never Share Sensitive Information: Legitimate organizations, including Awakon FCU, will never ask you to share sensitive information such as passwords, PINs, or Social Security numbers via email. If you receive such a request, it’s a red flag.
- Use Strong Passwords: Create strong, unique passwords for your online accounts, including your credit union account. A combination of uppercase and lowercase letters, numbers, and symbols can greatly enhance your account security.
- Enable Multi-Factor Authentication (MFA): Whenever possible, enable multi-factor authentication for your credit union account. This adds an extra layer of security by requiring a second form of verification in addition to your password.
- Update Software and Antivirus: Keep your computer and mobile devices’ operating systems, browsers, and antivirus software up to date. This helps protect you against vulnerabilities that cybercriminals may exploit.
- Report Suspicious Emails: If you receive an email that appears to be suspicious or phishing-related, do not respond or click any links. Instead, call our support team at 989.733.8557 so that we can investigate and take appropriate action.
- Educate Family Members: Share these tips with your family members, especially those who may be less familiar with online security practices. Cybersecurity is a collective effort.
Remember, your security is our top priority at Awakon FCU. By following these guidelines and staying vigilant, you can help safeguard your credit union account from potential threats. If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to reach out to our customer support team at 989.306.3933.
Thank you for being a valued member of Awakon Federal Credit Union! Together, we can ensure a safer banking experience for all.